Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Prom The Musical

...the new girl in town, who just came on the scene...


PROM THE MUSICAL has finally come to an end! The production indeed left me with tones of sweet memories. Thank you guys so much for the hard work and passion you have in performing arts. To many of us, this musical marked the beginning of our journey in the world of performing arts. To me, this could be my last P&A Nite. I am very sentimental about this because it is a heavy-hearted decision to resign from the school. It all began in 2003 when I proposed to Mrs. Chan, my boss, about having an Oscar-like awards ceremony to recognise the talents and achievement of our students, something I looked forward to when I was a student myself. As a student, I dreamed about going up on stage to receive the Student of The Year award; I dreamed about announcing the nominees of the Performer of The Year award; I dreamed about performing on the Oscar stage.... I didn't manage to get all that during school, and guess what, I manage to realise the dreams of many of my students now. I am happy!

Today, P&A Nite has become the signature ceremony among the many events organised at Sri KDU that has touched many hearts over the years in a moving and heartfelt way. I am still very overwhelmed on 7-11 as my dream has finally come true. This is a bit too late but to all the cast and crew, you did a great job! To you my beloved guests, I am sure you did enjoy the show! :)


...Low Wen Wen & Elliot Siow are the
emcees who introduced 'Prom The Musical'...

There are many people I would like to thank in making this musical a success! Top on the list, I thank Geraldine for her hard work. As I have mentioned over and over again, you are a great friend, a talented playwright, a capable co-director and a responsible stage manager. I thank N for the wonderful costumes, I thank Chee Wei, Shan, Cheng Choo and Zen for the beautiful choreography. Everyone loves the choreography. I thank Pang for the photoshoot. Can you imagine, he was the one who took all the photos for the programme book. You are a great man, brother! Together, I am sure we can produce better quality magazine! :)

Secondly, I would like to thank my cast members: Qing Yang who agreed on coming back to perform once again for the school. I thank you for your dedication. I thank the rest of the cast who really practised what I advised them to do. I hope what I did to you guys did pay off last Friday night - the breathing exercise, the vocal exercise, the acting, the stage managing, etc. I love my job as a director as I get the chance to explore every inch of the stage. I don't mind the long hours or the work load, but I do mind if you don't give me your 100%. To my crew, let me annouce the recipients of the following awards:

The most reliable crew - Lim Yi Lin
The most loyal crew - Lim Yun Xin
The most friendly crew - Yeng Yi Tang
The most diligent crew - Ee Wui Jie
The best pianist - Danish Leow (he also won my most favourite pianist too, hehehe...)

The most outstanding performers (main cast):
Qing Yang, Aliesha, Kareem, Aainaa
The most outstanding performers (ensemble):
Demie, Melissa C, Fiona, Tifani, Nikki, Kitt Mun, Yen Hui, Ee Fen, Siew Bee, Nabihah
(top 10, not in any particular order)

To many people, I can be a bias teacher. Many people thought I will only pick those whom I like. Well, as a teacher, favortism is not encouraged, but I do agree that it's unavoidable. Naturally, a director should always praise his cast who display good performance on stage. We praise them so that the rest can also be motivated to improve themselves. However, there will always be a group of people, in any productions, who can never understand the good intention behind and these are the ones who keep complaining and yet, they will never get recognised by anyone. This frustrates them a lot and thus, they continue to be the rotten apples, and the cycle continues! Well, I don't blame anyone, I blame myself for letting them join my production. It was "aiya, give them a chance la" in mind that I let them join us in the first place. If they don't appreciate it, I shall give others a chance.


...the stars of Prom The Musical, Aliesha and Qing Yang...

Aliesha and Qing Yang were very raw when I started working with them a month ago. Today, I told them that they only reached 75% of my expectations. I am not trying to be difficult with the kids but I know they can do better, a lot better I mean. I see a lot of potential in these two charming young adults. I was impressed by the two of them on Friday night, and I missed working with them! Kareem is another cast who showed tremendous charisma on stage. However, I am sometimes confused whether of not I should tell him not to be himself, as I realise that to be a good actor, you need to study the character and live in it, so, it's actually being yourself again. Well, of course, I don't think the kids understand the differences. Anyway, the three of them did a great job! 72% to you, Kareem. Stephanie scored 65%, Joon Yang and Mariam both scored 55% (you know where you should improve, right?) It was already a job well done at school level, but if we are thinking of bringing this musical out of school, the standard that we set was just way too low. We need to reach at least a 90% in order to avoid contructive criticism from the floor. Well, at least you guys have started, and it's not difficult to work up the scale. Always remember, a 'second chance' on stage is always earned, not asked for! Leena, a talented girl, but is too self-conscious about her appearance on stage, a killing factor for many performers. She can sing and act, so work on your self-esteem and confidence level. If you think you are the best, you shall be the best! She scored 60%. Aainaa is another budding star in our production. I give her a 70%. I wonder if she was given more parts and dialogues, can she manage? Can she manage a bigger role in the future? Ask this yourself and work on the obstacles that is blocking you! To the ensemble, I think you deserve a 70%. Many of you lost focus (not in character), appreared to be too flimsy (not sharp and strong enough), didn't dance and act well, etc...luckily I have a group of more experienced performers who pulled the grade up a bit :) Guys, you know who you are, thank you so much!


...Kareem is teasing Aainaa and Leena in the opening scene...
Good acting is when the acting can be
captured on a photo, like this one!

...I love my ensemble. Please take a look at them,
such uniform movement...WELL DONE!...

No comments: