Friday, February 26, 2010

This is what I have been longing for

The CNY break is finally over! It's time to open up my files to continue what I left off before the break. I went to UM and discovered that my 16 tissue culture jars with the tobacco plantlets are growing alright, with one contamination. It was pretty encouraging considering that I have not been doing tissue culture for the past 9 years.

I still have the skills! That was what popped up my mind.

I quickly checked the procedures as I needed to make more media for the sub-culturing. This time, I made some stock solutions which to me was a complete tedious process. No wonder companies came up with cocktail recipe for MC media, I appreciate that a lot!

However, I felt like a handicap in the lab I used to managed 9 years ago. I needed to autoclave some scalpels and forceps, etc...but I don't any spared ones. This is frustrating as we used to share the apparatus among members of the lab. Time has changed, so did the people working in the lab. I don't blame anyone, it's the survival of the fittest theory. We need to survive, thus we need to think of ways to survive. One way is to protect ourselves before we lose out to the others. The only way to be protective is to be more selfish. Being selfish will never let a scientist progress in this field of modern science and technology.

Do I need to follow their foot steo or stand firm but be isolated?

No comments: